(This post may include affiliate links from which I may receive a commission. Rest assured that there is no additional cost when using affiliate links, and I personally recommend any services or products linked below.)
Discord servers can be vulnerable to cyber attacks and hacking attempts. As a server owner or moderator, it’s important to understand common attack methods and implement measures to secure your community.
Phishing for Account Access
Hackers may attempt phishing scams to gain access to admin accounts. Phishing uses fake login pages to trick users into handing over passwords. Never click suspicious links or provide account info unless verifying the source.
Bots installed with overexpression permissions can be exploited to wreak havoc. Limit bot permissions and install from trusted developers. Routinely check bot activities for anything unusual.
Malicious links or files shared on Discord can spread malware if downloaded. Warn users not to open suspicious files or links. Use antivirus software and moderate carefully.
How to Protect Your Server
- Use strong passwords and enable 2FA
- Vet mods and admins thoroughly
- Limit permissions for new members
- Install antivirus and monitor closely
- Ban members spreading suspicious links
Keeping your community informed on cyber risks also helps keep your server secure. Defending against hacking attempts requires vigilance, but taking proactive precautions can help keep your Discord server safe.
Protecting Your Account
Use these tips to secure your own Discord account:
- Enable two-factor authentication
- Change your password regularly and make it long/complex
- Don’t click links from strangers in DMs
- Avoid connecting third-party apps you don’t fully trust
- Review server permissions before joining new ones
Discord phishing often involves fake login pages sent via DM. Watch for:
- Suspicious links claiming your account is at risk
- Links to discordgift[.]site, disc0rd[.]gifts, or discordapp[.]com
- Requests to “Verify your account” or “Update billing”
Never enter your password unless on the official Discord website.
Use caution with DMs from strangers:
- Don’t click links or files from unknown users
- Disable friend requests from strangers in User Settings
- Report harassment, threats, or scams to Discord
Staying vigilant for suspicious messages and links can help keep your account secure.